Several Techniques exist for Treating Skin that is Wrinkled
Aging causes the gradual development of facial wrinkles, which at first appear as fine surface lines that over time become deeper creases and folds. Wrinkling of the skin may be accelerated by excessive exposure to the sun and other elements, overactive facial expression muscles, the frequent use of tobacco products, poor nutrition, or skin disorders. Persistent facial lines, especially those involved in negative emotional expressions, may mistakenly potray to others, the look of worry, anger, anxiety, disgust or sadness, despite one's own positive internal feelings. Injecting or implanting substances which either temporarily weaken the muscles or act as skin volume fillers serve to soften or eliminate the appearance of wrinkles and produce a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance.Several techniques exist for treating skin that is wrinkled, scarred or otherwise damaged. Some of them are as below:
- Botox® Injections can reduce the signs of aging by reducing the muscle activity and wrinkles of the eyebrow and forehead. Botulinum toxin used in Botox injections is a sterile, purified protein produced by the bacteria, Clostridium botulinum, in the laboratory. Botox injected in small amounts into facial muscles binds to the nerve endings supplying the muscle and prevents nerve impulses from traveling to the muscle. When injected into the muscle, it weakens or paralyzes the muscle around the area injected for a typical period of several months. The resultant weakening or paralyzing effect on the facial muscle temporarily reduces or eliminates previous skin creasing and new skin creasing is avoided. Botox may take several days to have its effect, and the effect typically lasts 3-6 months, in most individuals, before full muscle movement returns. At that point, further treatment may be elected.
- Chemical Peel involves the application of a solution that causes the wrinkled or damaged top layers of skin to peel, revealing new, healthier skin after healing. There are several types of chemical peels: a light peel to remove superficial wrinkles, a medium depth peel, and a deep peel for more severe conditions.
- Dermabrasion smoothes surface irregularities to produce a more uniform appearance.
- Laser – Through the use of a special laser, the outer layers of the damaged or wrinkled skin are removed. The new skin appears healthier and smoother, giving a rejuvenated, more youthful appearance.
- Injectable Fillers (Restylane®, Collagen, etc.) are synthetic or naturally occurring materials that are placed with small needles to plump wrinkles, furrows or grooves in the skin. Allergy test to the material used is first performed. The results usually last for 2-4 months depending on the material used.
Visit our DQS Dental Care:
If you are facing any skin diseases and facial wrinkle issue's, let our Cosmetic Dentist specialist in Calgary Alberta. She can recommend what kind of dental cosmetic treatments is right for you. Call us to learn more or to meet our best botox treatments located in Calgary Alberta.